Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Lovely Leah

I've been blogging for a little over a year now. Like many of you, I started this blog because I wanted to be a part of the online vintage and fashion community that I'd been following for quite a while. I think the most wonderful part of the whole experience is 'meeting' all of you, visiting your blogs and hearing back from you through your comments. I'm so inspired every day by reading your posts, seeing what fascinates you all and what your creativity produces, whether in outfits or in other endeavors.

One of the many bloggers who inspires me is Leah, a wedding and portrait photographer from Manila whose eponymous blog is always a highlight of my days. Fashion-wise, I look forward to seeing how she styles her signature colors: black and white. But Leah's posts are wonderful for reasons that go beyond clothes and personal style. Her posts are so upbeat, she's always smiling in her photos and her blog seems to radiate positivity, while at the same time displaying her fantastic sense of humor. Below the title of her blog on her banner is the saying: 'In love with life...in love with love..." I hear a lot of people saying things like this all the time, but I get the feeling Leah really lives it.

I recently asked Leah if I could ask her a few questions about blogging, photography and her personal style. I was thrilled that she agreed to participate.



1. Could you please describe your personal style? My style is based more on what I can wear given my imperfections. I love oversized clothings and I hate clingy outfits on me. I kinda have a non-existent waistline... I'm just too straight. Can you imagine a bamboo pole... that's how I describe my body. :-)

2. Why did you decide to start your blog? This blog was started because of my photography. Years ago, it was a very popular thing to have a blog for photographers. I joined that wave. But gradually, I've been talking about non-photography related stuff like fashion and my travels. My clients love it more. So now, it's just a fashion blog. I have a separate website to address the photography stuff. If in case you're interested, here is the link: www.studiolcalifornia.com

3. What do you enjoy most about blogging? One word: Friends. I enjoy meeting new friends and I love that I get to connect with all of you even if we are oceans away.

4. I know that since I began posting about a year ago, my style has changed a bit. Have you noticed any changes in your style since starting your blog? I noticed some changes but not about my style. I've been dressing like this for years... I don't want to say for decades for fear of divulging my age. Hahaha! What I noticed is I love my closet more. It's like having a new perspective... the clothes that I have not worn for years have been given a new life.

5. This is a silly question, but if you could have any one item of clothing right now -- Poof! It’s yours! – what would you choose? Just one item? If I could have my wish granted, I would love to own all the bags that I covet from Hermes to Balenciaga to Chanel. Honestly, given a choice between shoes and bags, I'll take the latter anytime.

6. I’m very interested in photography and lighting and was wondering about your career as a photographer. How did you decide to become a wedding and portrait photographer? I studied photography a decade ago. I just wanted to learn how to manipulate the camera . That was during the dawn of the digital age. Then, I was featured in one of the leading papers here in Manila as a photo hobbyist. Then, amazingly, people started calling me to do their portraits and weddings. So that was when I started to do it professionally.

7. For those of us who take our own photos, could you offer any words of advice? This is interesting... I say relax and don't take your pictures when you're tired or sad because it will show in the eyes or in the smile. You don't have to smile in the shoots (like I do all the time) but believe me even if you're not smiling, a happy inner self will radiate in the photos. No matter how fabulous the outfit is, a sad aura will dampen everything.

8. Okay, Last Question. You have such a positive and encouraging presence in the blogging community. Personally, I'm always really inspired by your posts and the comments that you leave (as I'm sure other people are too). Is this something that you've set out to do in blogging? Or is it just a part of your personality naturally coming through? I am naturally a happy person. What you see in my posts is really me, no pretensions at all.

Thanks Leah!

29 comments:

  1. Oh this is such a nice feature/interview. Leah seems like a real girl, very down to earth,and gorgeous. I like her answer to question #4-I often find that about my own closet now that I've started blogging. And I like what she has to say about smiling or not smiling-just being in a happy mood will radiate thru--its soooo true! (that being said, Maybe I need to work on being happy more often--haha; or stop photographing myself at 9pm after a long day of work. She's got great advice that's all I'm saying.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great interview!! I read Leah's blog too so it was nice to get to know her a bit!

    clothedmuch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. great feature, I really must stop by her blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kelley Anne... this is so nice. I really love your little introduction. It warms my heart. I'll link this in my next post... thanks a lot for chance to be part of your blog. You're truly an angel. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything you said in the first paragraph! Love the interview, I shall go check out her blog right after this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, this is so neat. I love Leah's blog and I really thank you for asking her these insightful questions. Though I feel I "know" her through her blog, it's still nice to get in-depth answers questions I'm sure a lot of us have. Plus, I got to look at her professional website! Her photography is amazing.

    Thanks, Kelley Anne! And thanks, Leah, too, for answering the questions!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful interview! She sounds so fun - I am definitely visiting her blog.

    iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. She sounds wonderful! You asked such great questions, and I loved reading all her answers. I'll go and check out her blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. she is great person a lovely interview ,

    as a reader of her blog i know her , but here i know more about her

    cool presentation of interview

    http://101smiles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leah is one of my favorite bloggers. Love this interview!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, thank you, thank you for featuring Leah here! I have been following her and her blog since the beginning and I grow to love her more and more each day. Despite the fact that we have never met in person (though we hope to sometime this Spring!) I think of her as a close friend; and my days would truly be incomplete without her posts! Great interview, darling!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree...meeting new people is the best thing about blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great interview! You peaked my interest about this lovely lady & her blog! I'll have to go check it out now! I hope you had a whimsical Monday, my dear! P.S., can't wait to check out your shop!

    http://girlwhimsy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this wonderful post. You are like my Leah!! I will be interviewing you in a year :) Seriously, I love this comment, many of the bloggers have taught me this, and it is a wonderful way to post, and to live - "What you see in my posts is really me, no pretensions at all."

    ReplyDelete
  15. great interview, I really enjoy reading it

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. i follow leah.. cool gal she is :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. awesome, she's beautiful! great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's so lovely - she seems so friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw, what a great interview. I want you to answer all of these for me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. nice interview...

    interesting answers..

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks for your comment on my blog! my dog is an Alaskan Malamute ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey girl, thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting. I hope you have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for such a cute and great interview, and thanks for sharing it with us!!
    Your blog is great, I'll pass around here again! :3

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post! I actually came here via Leah's lovely blog =) You have a great site yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  25. nice. she always carry her smile that makes her different from all else.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!