Friday, January 22, 2010

It all began when I was a girl...


This entire outfit centered around two items that I've been dying to wear lately, but haven't been sure how to sport. First are the earrings. When I was a girl, probably about 10 or 11 years old, my mother bought me these earrings. I thought that they were the most beautiful earrings that I'd ever seen. They reminded me of the early Victorian era, which I was then romanticizing after reading a biography of Queen Victoria (I know, I'm dying to see The Young Victoria!). My parents have a few pictures of me wearing them over the years on special occasions, but I never knew how to incorporate them regularly...they seemed too elegant for my everyday life. Still, I saved them and there they've sat in my jewelry box for years, treasured.

The second item is a hand-knitted, vintage Scottish sweater that I found in a church thrift store with the tags still attached. I'd seen it various times, but wasn't willing to pay the $10.00 price tag (I've become so cheap!). The last time that I visited, it was marked down to three dollars, so I decided to bring it home with me. For someone who thinks she has an aversion to pink, I've realized lately that there's a lot of it in my wardrobe...the earrings and sweater included. Well, today those earrings came out of the box and paired well with my new light pink sweater.

rabbit 3A

rabbit 1A

ringA

rabbit leavingA

rabbit sittingA

rabbitA

accessoriesA

rosesA

rabbit closeA

Skirt: 70's Vintage
Beret: La France Vintage
Sweater: Vintage, Church Thrift Sale
Purse: Thrifted Vintage, Savers
Shoes: I Love Comfort, Sears
Tights: American Apparel
Ring: Thrifted, Goodwill
Coat: 70's Vintage
Earrings: Gift

This cream coat is one of the two that I bought yesterday. I'd planned to wear the mauve swing coat with this outfit, but decided upon dressing that the effect was a little too precious overall for my taste. The coat makes me feel like a snuggly bunny; its so warm! I love the way the collar drapes down the back--it sort of has a sailor-ish feeling, don't you think?

Does anyone else have a piece of jewelry that they've treasured since childhood? If so, I'd love to hear about it.

11 comments:

  1. Oh I would have loved to have seen the mauve swing too :)

    The earrings are so sweet, I can see why you wanted to wear them. I like the outfit, the sweater looks great with them. I'm really taken with your purse.

    The last pic is my fav.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the earrings, and I think that's so great you saved them since childhood! crazy!!

    considering i pierced my ears at a very young age, i don't have jewelry that was worth keeping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just visiting my sister and she showed me a little shoebox full of jewelry she has kept from childhood. It made me sad because I had received most of the same things while growing up (since we are so close in age) but over the years I have lost or broken all of mine :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this outfit, you have such a classic, elegant style.

    www.ameliais.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this look! Im always so excited to see what wonderful look you put together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that coat, the bottom pattern is wonderful

    nice find on the sweater, $3!!?

    I love remixing my great grandma's jewelry. she wore some of her necklaces only for special occasions and I wear them daily haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you're right -- that sweater and those earrings are really divine!

    i have a cute little 'p' ring that my mother bought me when i was little. its too small for me now but too big to wear as a pinky ring. i was just thinking this morning that i should have it resized so that i can wear it on my pinky.

    ~pemora

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ALWAYS wear a silver eternity ring that belonged to my grandma and was given to her by my grandad before they both died - I don't think I've taken it off in years!

    http://dreamingspiresandoldcartyres.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the first picture! The light is so nice. I also really like the colors of the sweater with that of the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The last pic is my fave- so pretty! I have collected charms since my childhood and still have some from junior high by James Avery, my favorite! I love, love a good vintage charm bracelet and have sooooo many.
    Happy PS Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

    ReplyDelete
  11. OHHH MY DEAR!!!

    I must say that this post is awesome (just when I think that I have a favorite outfit...you post something amazing and beautiful!!) The sweater is gorgeous! The earrings are so beautiful!! (I tried to limit the amount of times I saw beautiful but I can not help it especially in this post!)

    about your question at the end about a piece of jewelry. It's actually quite funny that my fingers are still the same size that they were when I was in about 4th and 5th grade. I have been wearing several rings that we're given to me as a gift especially a small gold ring with 4 gemstones (ruby, diamond, sapphire, and emerald). When I first got out of the hospital my father decided to buy me a gold bracelet that has flowers engraved all around, since my father passed away I wear it everyday. I wear the bracelet everyday because I am to keep the memory of my dad close to me but Its also a lovely bracelet.

    p.s. If you would really like to watch the movie The Women I would be more than happy to send it to you and let you borrow it so you can watch it!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!