Friday, February 27, 2009

Bladerunner Shoulders...In Moderation of Course:)

I have a conflicted, ambivalent relationship with shoulder pads. Some of the ones that I grew up with in the 80's and early 90's were grossly humongous (in my humble opinion, of course:) But...I love those little lifting shoulder pads on late 70's to 80's dresses. They give the shoulders a little drama, without making me feel like a linebacker. In this sweater dress, I've found another happy medium. It originally had a gigantic, beaded, flowered...I'm not even really sure what to call it...detail (?) covering the right shoulder. I carefully snipped that off and managed not to snag the dress. I wasn't sure that it would all work out when I left the thrift store last weekend, but I'm quite pleased with the dress...and the shoulder pads.

Now, all that being said, I couldn't stop thinking about Bladerunner when I was wearing this today. I have to say it, I LOVE Rachel's wardrobe in Bladerunner. Maybe its a combination of the clothes, the lighting, her makeup and hair. Maybe its the strong 40's influence on the look of this 80's noir film...but there's something so alluring about those straight shoulders in pretty much every outfit she wears throughout the movie and I've always wanted to look like Sean Young does in that film. Here's my attempt. I might as well take advantage while there's so much 80's thrift pickings out there.



80's Sweater Dress: thrifted
Tights: American Apparel
Oxfords: Me Too
Belt: Marshall's

Image from Bladerunner can be found here on flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!