Monday, February 9, 2009

Variation on a Theme

Like most of the other fashion and vintage bloggers that I've discovered recently, I have a large wardrobe...mostly collected through vintage and thrift shopping over the past five or six years. I honestly try (most days) to wear a combination of garments that I've never before worn together. This (and the thrift shopping) is both what I love about my wardrobe and how I justify it to myself. I tend to get on specific kicks...like the high-waisted skirts that I wrote about in my last post, but I always attempt to incorporate different items and take risks, depending on how I feel when I wake up in the morning and step into my closet. Some days it works out, other days it doesn't. Some days I feel like its worked out really successfully, while others may not be so sure. 

This morning I woke up determined to wear one of my two vests. This blue one was purchased (on sale, of course) at Urban Outfitters a few years ago (I also have a black, pinstriped one from J Crew, that I got for only nine dollars!). Ever since I saw Jolie Holland in concert late last year looking so cool in her fitted black vest, red blouse and form-fitting black pants, I've kept them on a very close back-burner. Anyway, I digress. I'm always trying to think of ways to wear them and this morning I woke up with my green skirt in mind. So here's a variation on the high-waisted skirt theme.




Vest: Urban Outfitters
Blouse: Thrifted 
Skirt: Anthropologie 
Belt: Thrifted 
Tights: grocery store
Boots: I bought them for cheap in Italy a long time ago

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this, but I love the 60's and 70's as fashion decades. I also really like the A-lines of the 50's (and own several 50's day dresses), but there's something about leather boots of any heel height and a high-waisted skirt. Or a polyester blouse in crazy colors...or a great polyester dress...I could go on and on! No, really...just ask my sister. I don't know, I pretty much love all of the decades, even those darned drop-waisted 20's skirts that I have so much trouble wearing, but most of all I love playing with color and trying variations that I've never thought of before. That's the benefit of having a large wardrobe isn't it? There are so many possibilities, so many options and so many opportunities to go shopping in your own closet:) Just writing about it, I can't wait to wake up and start all over tomorrow morning. Sweet dreams tonight and happy fashion adventures tomorrow everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!