Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Scarves, Lovely Scarves















Since before I started visiting thrift stores in college, I've always harbored a love for scarves. My mother used to buy them for me to tie my hair back and in the past few years, my collection has grown exponentially due, largely in part, to some summer fairs that I always attend. I now probably own close to fifty scarves and don't know where to house them, much less how to successfully incorporate them into my everyday wardrobe.

Working in a library has its advantages, and recently I came across a book called Edward Steichen In High Fashion: The Conde Nast Years 1923-1937. Besides the fact that its full of beautiful black and white fashion photographs, and showcases delicious vintage looks, the book is great because quite a few of the photos illustrate different options for wearing scarves (besides just pulling one's hair back.) These are some of my favorites!

Besides the scarves, the looks are fabulous in their entirety. I usually tend towards belts that cynch the waist. I'm tall and without one, I just look like a very long column. But I love the look in several of these: a low-slung belt paired with a long scarf and a blazer or sweater (very season-friendly).

Today was more of a jeans and sweater kind of day for me though, so I'll test it out in the next few days.

(Oh, and by the way, the last photo doesn't really include a scarf, but I just loved it and thought that a skinny scarf or a dress sash tied around the kneck would re-create the same look:)

All photos from Edward Steichen In High Fashion: The Conde Nast Years 1923-1937 by Todd Brandow and William A. Ewing (2008)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!