Sunday, July 10, 2011

Thrift Finds

This morning, Dan and I headed to his hometown to visit his mother and grandmothers. One of my favorite thrift stores is very nearby, so after lunch we headed there and I set to work perusing for almost an hour. Its always hit and miss with thrift shopping, but this place usually yields something every time I visit. Today I got really lucky.

This first dress is definitely vintage from the late 70's, early 80's. Its short and fun and flirty, with a pretty collar and a fitted bodice. I love that the little sleeves have a slight puff to them. The former owner wrote her name on the tag in marker, so I'm debating whether to cut it out or not. I've never seen that before...has anyone else?

blue_dress

The next one is from BCBG Max Azria. I absolutely love the bold giraffe-like print and the short, almost mod shape. It'll be a good transition piece to fall and winter too and I'll probably end up wearing it as a tunic over dark jeans.

giraffe_dress

And finally a very pretty, classic polka-dot maxi dress. I didn't think too much of it on the rack, but because of my undying love for dots and current search for more long dresses, I decided to give it a whirl in the dressing room. I'm glad I did. It fits so well! It'll be an easy, classic choice for work-days when I don't feel like fretting over what to wear.

maxi_dress

Before leaving this store, I always cruise by the jewelry section to check out the pins and earrings. Today, I found a pretty (if ubiquitous) rose pin. My sister bought one of these a few years ago at a vintage store nearby and I've been keeping an eye out since for one that I liked. Today I got lucky. (please ignore the dog hair, that's also ubiquitous:)

pretty_pin

And here's what I wore while shopping...

floral_outfit 1

mismatched_bangles

close_up

Dress: Thrifted Vintage (altered by me)
Perforated Wedges: Target
Pin: Thrifted today!
Earrings: Forever 21
Rattan Purse: Thrifted
Bangles: Forever 21 & Thrifted

This dress has become my automatic go-to outfit for summer over the past few years. Its pretty and easy to wear and has pockets, which is a definite bonus. Do you have an automatic default outfit?

dreamsbykelley.wordpress.com

1 comment:

  1. Your go-to summer dress is cuteness-to-a-teacup! (I just came up with that haha) It really looks like the kind of dresses Topshop tries to churn out but I love it that yours is vintage!!

    My go-to for warm weather right now is so boring and predictable but I can't help it! Denim cut-offs, a decent t-shirt or sometimes a striped top, sandals, wayfarers and my backpack.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!