Friday, April 17, 2009

Tampa Theatre




It was 7o degrees outside today! Seventy Degrees! I was excited (and a little bummed that I had to work...in the archive...all day long.) But, at least its a sign that the weather is changing and temperatures are beginning to climb. Every year when this happens, I inevitably start thinking about a few things. First, I can't wait to ditch my tights and wear sandals. Second, I start dreaming about breezy cotton frocks and shorts. Orange blossoms (being from Florida) are always somewhere in there and finally, and most prominently, I think about Tampa Theatre. 

I have to say, there isn't a whole lot that I really miss about Florida, but this place is one of them. Not only do they show great indie and foreign films, but they also have an annual classic  film series in the summer. My sister and I saw Breakfast at Tiffany's there several years ago and the line was around the block. One of the few times I saw the place full, and my gosh, was it exciting. I've been to a few other refurbished movie houses, but none beats Tampa Theatre. The Spanish architecture, organist, and grottos downstairs near the bathrooms are enough to make me swoon...and I don't think I'll ever get the distinctive smell of candy and dreams out of my head for the rest of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!